The six members of the commando that attacked the Dhaka Holey Artisan Bakery on Friday night, killing at least 20 people, were all Bengalese, according to the Inspector General of Bangladesh Police, Akm Shahidul Hoque. In statements reported by the Daily Star, Hoque said that the national security forces had been looking for at least five militants out of six for some time now. “We have sought in many places around the country – he concluded – and they have been finally killed here.”
Since the murders of foreigners, intellectuals, and members of religious minorities have begun in Bangladesh, the government has always rejected the hypothesis that Isis and Al Qaeda, which have often claimed bloody attacks, were present on the national territory. The Interior Ministry in Dhaka has always said that the authors of the murders were local fundamentalist militants.
The latter is not be underestimated. The Bangladeshi authorities are not sure that, beyond the claim, there is actually the Daesh behind the attack. “Its authors are not from Iraq or Syria, they are young Bangladeshis, many of whom received education, with good prospects and belonging to the middle class of the country,” said Deputy Foreign Minister of Bangladesh, Md Shahidul Haque, after expressing the government’s condolences to the Italian ambassador, Mario Palma. The thing that worries the most, he added, “is that their friends are still out there.” The citizens of Dhaka, he added, “are shocked and wonder why young people may have been radicalized so much. We do not know that and I think that the answer is in our society, and we have to find it.”
Japan is crying too: the death of seven Japanese citizens, two women and 5 men, has been confirmed. In a press conference, the head of the Cabinet Yoshihide Suga said the victims were identified through photographs and personal items. At the moment of the attack, they were in Bangladesh for business reasons, representing the Japanese Agency for international cooperation. Another Japanese citizen working for the same agency, was freed by the police in a raid. His life is out of danger. The Japanese authorities have already sent a government plane to the country in Southeastern Asia to transport the dead bodies to their motherlands and provide care to their family members.
The plane of the Italian Foreign Ministry has arrived to Dhaka to recover the Italian victims too. Yesterday, the responsible for the Italian consulate in the Bangladeshi capital collaborated on procedures of body recognition to make the execution of the then customary autopsies possible. The aircraft, which has made a technical stop in Ankara, will take off as soon as medical and legal formalities of the Bangladeshi authorities are completed. The latter, as we have learned, are also planning to make a high-level final tribute to the Italian victims.