The young Italian researcher Giulio Regeni – who disappeared on January 25 and was found yesterday in a ditch on the side of the road between Cairo and Alexandria – died after having been “stabbed with sharp tools, as bruises on several parts of his body reveal”. This is what reads ‘the autopsy report written by the forensic pathologists of the morgue of Zienhem, according to the local news site Dotmsr. The next step will be a report in which doctors will have to determine the cause of death. The report will be then delivered to the Giza prosecution and, from there, to the Italian embassy.
Yet, his death – as well as the ongoing investigations – seem to be obfuscated by an aura of mystery. Giza prosecution says that the body of the 28-year-old man from Friuli shows “clear signs of beatings, torture, cigarette burns, bruises, and a missing year Besides, the young man was naked from his waist down” at the time when the body was found. On the other hand, the version of the local police says that Regeni died in a “road accident” and that the “motive of the crime” is missing. Meanwhile, new elements about the life of the young Italian student have emerged in the last hours: Regeni was collaborating with Manifesto, where he wrote under a pseudonym “because he was worried for his safety.” ANSA received the news from Manifesto itself, which specified that the young man worked mainly on Egyptian trade unions.
Meanwhile, Italy has claimed clarifications on Julius Regeni’s death and Egyptian authorities have assured full cooperation in the investigation so far, but at the moment their reconstruction is confusing and contradictory. In the afternoon, the ambassador in Cairo, Maurizio Massari, has been able to go to the morgue where the body was. It was delivered to the Italian Umberto I hospital of Cairo last night.
In a statement issued by the Quirinale, President of the Republic Sergio Mattarella expressed his condolences and support to the family. Besides, the head of State said he hopes that “with Egyptian authorities’ full cooperation, it will be possible to shed light on the worrying events soon, allowing to hand in to the law forces those responsible for this heinous crime, which cannot go unpunished”.
In the meantime, Egyptian President Abdel Fattah Sisi, called Prime Minister Matteo Renzi to let him know that he had ordered the Ministry of the Interior and the General Prosecutor’s Office “to make everything in their power to eliminate all doubts” and “reveal all the circumstances” concerning the death of the young Italian student, a case which is “of utter importance for Egyptian authorities.”