It was from the times of the Bassanini Law 59 back in 1997, that a law did not enter so deeply into the fabric of public administration. The reform was wanted by the government and has been approved, after more than a year after its announcement in the Council of Ministers and three other Parliamentary steps. A long path that culminated in the final Yes in the Senate, where, unexpectedly, the numbers were reached thanks to the opposition.
The final vote has counted 145 For, 97 Against, and no abstentions. The law has been given a green light even earlier than forecasted, that is before Wednesday and Thursday when it was expected. An speeding up that was foretelling a path without stumbling blocks, but it is precisely when the crucial moment arrived, when the law underwent the final vote, it was realised in the House that there was the risk of not reaching the quorum (a minimum of 150 present voters). The majority alone would not have been able to guarantee the necessary threshold, this is why – as already mentioned – the votes of the opposition, even if contrary, have proved to be decisive.
The premier speaks, however, of “another piece” put in its place, and does not fail to send ”hug to all his jinx friends”. The minister of the P.A., Marianna Madia, is already looking ahead, towards what is going to be the real game: the work “continues” and aims directly at “implementing the decrees”, about twenty or slightly less of them. The goal is to present a first package of implementing measures as soon as in September, with simplification measures and a Spending Review that will mainly concern the cuttings of affiliated and subsidiary companies. But what are the new features of the reform? Let us consider them one by one.
– A SQUEEESE ON THE LEADERSHIP.
Also the heads of the companies can be dismissed in case of negative valuation. To avoid being left at home, they can opt for dimensioning. The appointments will not last a lifetime anymore (4+2 years) and in case of Court of Auditors’ condemnation, they will be withdrawn. To this regard was added an entire article dedicated to the accounting process.
– ALL LEADERS IN ONE SINGLE BASIN.
A single role is planned (albeit divided on three levels: national, regional, and local) without distinction between the first and the second band. A step towards a single tranche (around 10%) for admissions from without.The figure of the municipal secretary belongs to the past.
– COMPETITIONS, BEYOND THE UNIVERSITY MINIMUM AVERAGE GRADE
There will be no threshold anymore below which one is left outside public selections. The goal is to give more importance to evaluation during the competition itself. tests will always contain a section on English language.
– EASY DISMISSING
When the disciplinary action comes into being, it will be no longer possible to conclude things in nothing concrete; open cases will have to be completed without excluding the dismissal. As to the diatribe on the article 18, the retrieval will be kept.
– ON ABSENCES WITH POWER TO INPS.
No more fake sicknesses.To reach the goal, control functions and the related resources will be moved from Asl to the Inps. Limits on temporary employment will be introduced. There is also a passage that encourages generational relay at no cost. Appears the Committee for the integration of disabled workers.
– LESS PRESSURE ON PENSIONERS P.A.
The one-year maximum limit concerns leadership roles only. Other positions are still allowed, but on condition that they are not paid for.
– STATE FORESTRY CORPS DISAPPEAR, REORGANISATION OF THE FORCES.
The legislative decree lays the groundings for the absorption of the state forestry corps into another force, so as to reduce the overall number of the forces from 5 to 4. A reorganisation of the other forces is planned as well.
– SEVERE CUTS ON AFFILIATED COMPANIES
Their number will go down and a maximum number of ‘‘reds’’ will be followed by the liquidation. Appointment of a commissioner to the administration of an organization is also possible. A 50% reduction of the chambers of commerce is planned.
– REDUCTION OF PERFECTURE OFFICES
A movement towards a clean cutting of their numbers that could go so far as to reduce them by 50%. What remains, will end up in the Office of the State’s territory, the meeting point between the P.A. device and the citizens. All double offices will be shut down in ministries and Authority. It is a Spending Review intervention that can be found also in the reduction of the expenditure for interceptions.
– 50% REDUCTION OF PAPERWORK FOR LARGE WORKS.
A ‘cut on bureaucracy’, in order to simplify and speed up, up to half of the currently-employed time, of the operations in case of significant productive implementation, works of general interest. Appears the possibility to endow the premier with substitutive power.
– SILENT CONSENT OF THE ADMINISTRATIONS
In case of disputes between the central administration offices on the nulla osta and other problems, it will be the premier to decide, after a passage in the CDM. It sets also a maximum for obtaining approval: maximum 30 days, which become 90 in questions of environment, culture and health. Similar procedures also for measures that aim to unlock the conference services.
– CUTS ON DECREES. A range that aims at unravelling the tangle of delays in implementing measures. Everything goes through a delegation to the Government, summoned to make a selection on the last three years (exclusive of the Legislative Decree).
– POWERS TO PALAZZO CHIGI. It will set out the functions of the Prime Minister’s office for the preservation of the unity of address. A strengthening of collegiality that is also found in the appointments of the competence, so that the choices pass to the CDM. The delegation is also concerned with the definition of the responsibilities for the supervision of tax agencies (such as Income Revenue)
– AN ACT AND A NEW CHAPTER FOR THE DIGITAL P.A. Here comes into play the ‘card of the digital citizenship’, the government being delegated to define the minimum level of quality of the online services. To lead the digital breakthrough will be the task of an ad hoc senior.
– ELECTRONIC BILLS THAT CAN BE PAID VIA SMS. Payments to the PA, such as bills and fines, will be possible also via phone credit (rechargeable or on subscription) provided that it is a matter if micro-amounts (presumably below 50 Euros). In this case, the payment can be made with a simple SMS.
– ITALIAN ACT FOR FREEDOM OF INFORMATION. Everyone will have the right to access via Internet PA documents and data that are stored in the public records, although some limits will be kept.
– A SINGLE NUMBER FOR THE EMERGENCIES. It will suffice to call 112 to ask for help in any circumstance. The idea is to realize headquarters on a regional level that will gather the requests, sort them out and submit them to the right services.
– ONE RECORD BOOK PER EACH CAR. It allows the transfer of the Public Vehicles Register (Pra), controlled by the ACI, to the Ministry of Transport, which owns the DVLA. It is a step towards a single database containing data both on circulation and property, with a single record book.